Monday, May 31, 2010

Totem

This post comes from 2:35 AM in the Resident Lounge of a large hospital. The TV is cycling through SportsCenter reruns and the hallways are quiet. Tonight, less active bowel sounds from the belly of the beast known as the ER, a far cry from last night's fifteen traumas when I vowed to never again ride a motorcycle, step foot in a boat, or even look at an ATV. I vowed to never drink more than 2 beers, and never go outside after dark. I vowed to come to a complete stop and remove all sharp objects from my house.

Waking up at 4 in the afternoon, will shake any of the previous nights vows, so I drank 10 beers, helmetlessly hopped onto an urban ATV with loose lug nuts and road it the wrong way on a one way street all the way to the hospital, all in hopes that I might be mercifully offed, instead of having to report to duty under the supervision of my arch enemy. To avoid a breach in presumed internet anonymity, I will stop there.

In all honesty, overall, a great rotation so far. Besides the sleep deprivation and permanent location at the bottom of the Totem, things are looking up.




5 comments:

  1. You're almost there ~ keep up your amazing spirit. But, I say stick with your previous vow and ditch the motorcycle!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditched the motorcycle when we left UT. Never seen Mom as happy as the day I told her we sold it. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is 2:35 in the morning, in the middle of your long night in the ER, and you are able to communicate your view from the bottom of that totem pole! Maybe all these rotations should result in a book. Seriously.

    We love reading your posts and being able to sort of be 'with you' in this from the other side of the country.

    And don't forget...I like my stuff. I like my room. I like my whole house! Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I can do anything good, better than anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much do you love her. SO glad someone watched it. I was just telling Chip that I didn't think anyone had checked it out cause there were no comments and that they(you)did not know what they were missing. I guess we (I mean you all) don't have to comment on everything. :) Anyway, I think I could eat her up.

    And, Chip, you know I am inspired daily by your ability to leave your comfort zone and still function so well. Thank YOU for talking ME off the ledge this morning.

    Finally, I agree with Hope. I think we are done with motorcycles...a VW bug may still be in our future, but at least that a little more metal to protect you...or get tangled in...not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, that was a happy day when the motorcycle was sold (although I did have a few exciting rides on it)! But please don't tell Chris the location of that picture!!

    Yes, Audzzz, I could watch Jessica every morning for inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete